Thursday, July 2, 2009

The fight has ended.

Johnny passed away peacefully in his sleep between 6 and 8am this morning (7/2/9). He has still been fairly active and happy up thru this past Sunday when we had a small gathering at our house. Monday he started having very severe pain which was treated with heavy narcotic doses. That, of course, causes alot of constipation which makes the pain worse. Well, he never bounced back after Monday. He got much weaker and incoherent. We were still trying to treat his symptoms throughout Wednesday and over night. Around 1:30am Thurs, Johnny started vomiting. We had difficulty moving him or even getting him conscious enough to turn his head to vomit. After a few calls to Hospice, various medications, new sheets and a mini bath, we got him calmed down enough to sleep. His breathing was labored-even with oxygen, but I could not give him any more medications. I tried to calm him by talking to him as much as I could. eventually, around 5:30am I finally took a short nap by him. I woke up 2 hours later and he was gone.

As soon as I discovered Johnny's death, I called a few friends, who called a few others, etc and was very soon surrounded by love and hugs everywhere in our home. As we have said many times before....we are surrounded by the most amazing group of friends that anyone could ever imagine!! We ALL leaned on each other, cried, passed kleenex, drank, ate and helped each other through a very tough day.

I need to get some sleep if I can, since I only got 2-3 hours last night and today was probably the toughest day of my life. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and strength.

I will post details of the memorial service as soon as I can.

Thank you
Tammy

18 comments:

  1. Dear Tammy, I am so saddened to hear of Johnny's passing. I have been following his journey from across the pond in the UK.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Marsha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tammy - this is so sad. My heart just aches for you and Johnny's family and friends. Johnny was an inspiration to so many and for this he will be greatly missed and always remembered. At least now he is free from the disease and free from the pain. He was a lucky man for having you and his friends who stuck with him through everything.

    You have a tough road ahead - our prayers and thoughts will be with you.

    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've followed this blog for such a long time. My thoughts are with you, your family and friends.

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy - I am so sad to hear this - I had been worried when there was no update for so long. Johnny was very helpful to me along the way and I will remember him and his fighting spirit. A hug to you and safe travels, Johnny.
    Kathie (wife of Bob Stage IV)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy--I am so so sorry for you. Johnny offered my husband a lot of encouragement as they both fought Melanoma and I will miss his spirited blog comments. May you both have peace.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy our prayers will continue to be with you and Kyle. Please call if there is anything you'd like us to do at anytime. Even if it's 2 a.m. and you just want someone to listen, I'll be there.

    We are contacting people at Nelson and will keep them updated as news comes to us.

    Everyone is saddend by the news, but the fight is over and the heaving suffering wasn't as long as some. We are greatful for that.

    Hugs to you.

    Love from the Micheal & Theresa Brummitt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thoughts and prayers for you during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlie and Judy CatesJuly 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM

    Hi Tammy,
    Charlie (Johnny's Uncle) and I are saddened to hear about Johnny passing. He fought a hard battle where others would have given up. Mel called and told us. We will watch for when his memorial service will be.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Charlie and Judy Cates

    ReplyDelete
  9. My prayers are with you! Having just lost my husband almost 3 weeks ago... Melanoma SUCKS!! I wish I had some genius words of wisdom for you, but it is a hard road... you WILL get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tammy; I am so sorry :( Johnny fought as hard as any one person possibly could. I know how long he hung in there for you and all his beloved family and friends. I so wish I could be there for you but please know I'm with you in though and prayer. Much love, Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johnny was such an inspiration and very brave. I am so sorry.

    Krista (Father is stage IV)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bob and I send peace and prayers for you and your family and friends.
    Annie and Bob ( stage iv)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tammy, we are sadden by your loss. You have lots of family and friends to turn to. Don't turn them away, use them as your crutch... they are there to support and help you. You are in our thoughts and prayers...

    Doug & Lea (IBoatNW)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tammy
    Mo and I wish to pass along our condolences and wish you the best.
    He was part of our IboatNW.com family and sadly we never met face to face, but I spoke to him on the phone a couple of times. I learned the news today. I'm sorry.
    A great man in my opinion.
    Skål Jonny, sail on brother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry with your loss. I am still in shock now. I often visit Johnny blog to see the warrior vs the battle....
    My deepest sympathy to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tammy,

    I've been in Phoenix and just learned of Johnny's passing today. I'm so very sorry to hear he is gone but I know that his suffering is now over and he is in a better place. I sure hope there are boats and plenty of water in heaven!! Please know that I want to be one of those standing in the long line of people who want to support you in the months and years ahead - both as co-worker and friend. You and Johnny have both been amazing through this ordeal and an inspiration to all. Love, Carol Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tammy, Doug and I (IboatNW) would like to send our heartfelt sympathy to you, your family and loved ones. This is such a difficult time and we all have touched by Johnny's courage and determanition. Please know that your are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless and now it's time to take care of you. Ensure that you ask when you are in need of anything.
    Lea and Doug Cook

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tammy,

    I am so very sorry to hear of Johnny's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and friends.

    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete